This post is what is on my mind this morning. You would think that hours before you are to get your son, you would be thinking about that moment. To be honest, I'm thinking about Korean culture. Most of the culture I find totally fascinating, and there are many aspects that I find better than my own (i.e. people are formal in dress and always look theit best, they eat healthier, they don't tip, they love spicy food, they put their children first, etc.). But there is one aspect of the culture I will never, ever understand, and that is their view of adoption.
People are very nice here. They approach you and try their English skills out on you. They ask you what you have seen, and want to know where you are from. But when they ask you why you are here, and you tell them it is for an adoption, things get weird. Really weird. They stop talking. They will turn their backs to you. I mean, the discussion is over. We've simply stopped telling them. We say we are here on vacation.
The people here at the Social Welfare Service get it. Even the attendants get it. They are happy for you. They congratulate you. They say the child looks like you. But, outside of the SWS, it is cold on this topic. It bothers me to post this, but I felt like I had to. I have to admit, it is kind of hurtful.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(59)
-
▼
May
(27)
- I gotta wear shades
- Holy Baby
- Happy Baby Boy
- First Week
- Settling In
- My Old Kentucky Home
- Still Sleeping
- Getting to Know You
- Seoul has Soul
- We Have Him
- Today is the Day
- Adoption in Korea
- Tomorrow is the Day!!!
- Sunday with the Chois
- Saturday with Terry
- Meeting Terry Today
- Happy Baby
- Monday in Korea, Mother's Day Night in USA
- Our Little Celebrity
- The Big Day
- We made it!
- Andrew's Room - Pre-Andrew
- Friday Morning Seoul = Thursday Night Lexington
- We are meeting our son THIS Friday!
- The Day We Meet Our Son
- Less than a week!
- Getting Ready for Baby
-
▼
May
(27)
Christine,
ReplyDeleteSome of what you're noticing could be discomfort or uneasiness with the idea that Korea isn't adopting its own children, so that people have to come in from other countries and adopt them--you know?
mb
Ugh. I hate that.
ReplyDelete